Apple Christmas Cake – Gluten free
This gluten-free cake will really get you in the festive spirit, with sweet apples, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. It can be a refined sugar-free recipe if you don’t sprinkle the Demerara sugar on top.
- 225 g butter, room temperature, cut into cubes, plus extra for greasing
- 450 g Bramley apples (or others), roughly chopped
- 200 g Medjool dates (or other dates soaked in hot water)
- 100 g raisins
- 4 large free-range eggs, beaten
- 150 g gluten-free white bread flour, plus a teaspoon extra
- 100 g ground almonds
- 1 1/2 tbsp gluten-free baking powder (eg Edmonds baking powder)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- a good grating of nutmeg
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 2 tbsp Demerara sugar (Optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Grease the base of a round 23cm cake tin and line with greaseproof paper. Place the apples in a food processor with the dates, butter and half the raisins and blitz until combined. Using a spatula, scrape into a bowl and mix in a third of the beaten eggs.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, almonds, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Add a third to the apple mixture and combine, and then continue adding and combining the egg and flour mixtures in alternating batches until all mixed together. Finish by folding through the remaining raisins then pour into the prepared cake tin.
- Combine the pine nuts, demerara sugar and an extra teaspoon of gluten-free flour in a bowl and scatter over the cake mixture. Bake for 50–60 minutes, until golden and cooked through. Leave the cake to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
This is a simple and yummy recipe and a good alternative to store-bought cakes.