Agni is our digestive fire (metabolism) which is responsible for processing and absorbing the foods we eat. Here are 10 Tips to improve your Agni and therefor your digestion naturally.
1. Drink Agni tea (see recipe below)
2. Avoid overeating, eating too fast or on the run and not paying attention to your meal
3. Eat right size meals:
- –eat a small breakfast – Agni is low in the morning and a small breakfast will kindle the Agni fire
- eat a large lunch – lunch should be our biggest meal of the day as Agni is strongest at noon
- eat a small dinner – because Agni relates to the sun, it is low when the sun sets
4. Refrain from eating when upset or angry – emotions can disturb our digestion
5. Avoid eating old and stale food – fresh is best
6. Cook with ghee – small amounts of ghee is great for Agni. You can cook with ghee or add a tsp. of ghee onto your food before you eat. Here is some info on making Ghee.
7. Use spices for cooking – (use different spices depending on your Ayurvedic constitution)
8. Drink water between meals – as water will dilute your digestive juices and enzymes it is best to drink between meals and avoid drinking water 30 minutes before or after a meal
9. Experience real hunger – eat when you are actually hungry and have digested your previous meal
- 1.25l water
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (not for Pitta type people)
- 2 handfuls minced ginger root
- ½ tsp rock salt (eg Himalayan salt)
- 2 Tbsp honey
- Juice of ½ lemon or lime
Bring all of the above ingredients (except for the honey and lemon juice) to a boil. Boil for 20 minutes. Take the pot off the heat and let it cool for a few minutes. Add the lemon or lime juice and the honey. Do not boil the juice and honey. Pour into a thermos and enjoy throughout the day!
I recommend drinking this Agni tea for 2 weeks or until you show signs and symptoms of having a healthy Agni (see above).
If you like to read more on Agni click on this link here: Why Agni is the Key to Health or Disease